What are different tastes & odors that can occur in water?
Although most taste and odour related issues are the result of aesthetic issues (non health related concerns), some taste & odour issues may be the direct result of a health related issue and are not addressed in this section. Typical taste responses are in the form of salty, metallic, acidic, alkali, or the dreaded pool water taste whereas odours are in the form of fishy, earthy, petrochemical, chemical, rotten egg and again the pool water!
Where do these tastes & odors originate from?
Taste & odour issues in the water may come from a variety of sources including municipal, well water and surface water such as a lake or river. These tastes & odours may be present on a continuous basis, or they may fluctuate over time.
Taste & odour issues are typically treated using activated carbon technology. Activated carbon is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions. It is this large surface area that makes activated carbon the ideal choice for taste & odour reduction as contaminants are adsorbed (taken in like a sponge) into the carbon structure. This carbon technology is used in simple filter housings that are typically installed at the point-of-use (POU), however larger systems can be installed on point-of-entry (POE) applications to treat the entire home.
Benefits of Water Filtration
There are many benefits of using filtration to remove most taste & odour issues, here are just a few:
- Provide better tasting & smelling drinking water by removing chlorine.
- Inexpensive to both own and maintain.
- Provides clean, good tasting water at a fraction of the cost of bottled water.
- Better for the environment - no wasted bottles by using bottled water.
- Reduce the risk of rectal cancer, colon cancer, and bladder cancer by removing chlorine and chlorine by-products from drinking water.
- Drinking clean, filtered water protects the body from disease and leads to overall greater health.
- Provides clean, healthy water for cooking, as well as drinking, at the convenience of tap water.
- Drinking pure water is especially important for children. Water filters provide the healthiest water for children's developing immune systems.
- Water filters offer the last line of defence between the body and the over 2100 known toxins that may be present in drinking water.
- Can easily be installed by a competent homeowner.